The de Havilland DH-98 Mosquito, constructed almost entirely of wood, is affectionately known as “The Wooden Wonder”. During WWII, it was prized for its maneuverability and speed powered by dual Rolls Royce Merlin engines.
This particular airplane, number KA114, was manufactured in Canada in 1945 but never saw combat in WWII. In 1948, it was sold to a farmer in Alberta, Canada, where it deteriorated in a field until purchased by the Canadian Museum of Flight and Transport in 1978. The Military Aviation Museum bought the aircraft in 2004.
Restoration work was done over an eight year period by AVspecs in New Zealand. Most of the metal parts were reused, and Glyn Powell, of Auckland, New Zealand built the new fuselage, wings, and tail sections from wood. It took almost three years to build the wooden airframe. The Mosquito is painted with the markings of 487 Squadron RNZAF as EG-Y in honor of the Royal New Zealand unit flying Mosquitos during WWII.
The New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) issued the aircraft a Certificate of Airworthiness in September 2012. It took its first flight in over 60 years on September 29, 2012 at Ardmore Airport near Auckland, New Zealand. It arrived in Virginia Beach in March 2013 and received its FAA Certificate of Airworthiness on April 30, 2013. Today, it is the only airworthy de Havilland Mosquito in the world.