We're in search for an established and experienced Museum Director.
View the description below.
We are a private aviation museum (www.MilitaryAviationMuseum.org) that operates under a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit corporation located in Virginia Beach, VA where the local region’s population exceeds 1.6 million residents. The museum owns its own multi runway airport and nine new individual buildings. They include a main dual hangar building of over 60,000 sq. ft.; World War One wooden replica hangar; maintenance and restoration hangar (www.facebook.com/FighterFactory); original 1936 German Luftwaffe hangar relocated from Cottbus Germany; three large warehouses; and a pre-World War II airport control tower transported from Goxhill England. The museum airport itself is located on over 130 acres with hundreds of parking spaces.
Most of the historic airplanes in the collection are REAL flying military airplanes from the First World War, Second World War, and the times between the wars. They include such flying airplanes as the P-51 Mustang, Navy Corsair, British Spitfire and Mosquito, and many more that can be seen on our museum website (www.militaryaviationmuseum.org). This is considered to be the world’s largest collection of historic flying airplanes from the first half of the last century. The museum has a paid staff of 12 employees and over 200 loyal and regular volunteers.
We are looking for an experienced Museum Director that can oversee and manage the entire operation. There are many large functions that take place at our museum including a World War Two airshow (Warbirds Over the Beach) in May, a musical airshow (Flying Proms) in June, and a First World War airshow (Biplanes and Triplanes) that is held in October. In addition, there are also numerous smaller functions such as a Valentine’s Day costume dance, Wine Fest, children’s summer camp, radio control model airplane meets, conventions, various 5K runway races, vintage car shows, Planes and Trains during Thanksgiving, and many more seasonal events.
The candidate for this position MUST meet all of the following five MUST requirements:
- MUST have managed a historical museum of some sort.
- MUST have had experience in successful fundraising and major gift development for a nonprofit foundation.
- MUST have had experience in recruiting and managing a large number of museum volunteers and a small paid museum staff.
- MUST have had previous successful experience operating a successful for profit business, even though our museum is a nonprofit.
- MUST have done public speaking and have exceptional verbal and writing skills.
- Prefer experience in applying for government grants.
- Prefer knowledge and an interest in historical aviation.
- Prefer to have experience working with a diverse Board of Directors to develop and implement strategic plans.
- Prefer someone that is creative and able to come up with multiple museum events and functions.
If you meet the above FIVE MUST requirements, then no need to send me your resume, but instead just pick up the telephone and call W.G. Yagen, Founder and President, at (757) 490-3157. I will explain the position to you, answer any pertinent questions you might have, as this will be a telephone interview before scheduling your first in person interview at the museum. If you meet only four of the five MUST requirements, then email me your resume to my personal address: EPY1@aol.com. If you meet less than four, please do not apply. We will consider candidates from throughout the United States.
The position pays a starting salary of $60,000 to $100,000 based upon previous museum experience.
I hope to hear from you by telephone or through the submittal of your resume!